April 4, 2011

Monsters Monsters Everywhere!!!!


I keep coming back to monsters in my own work, partly because I grew up glued to the Muppet Show before bedtime every Sunday night and with monsters you can really explore strong emotions and feelings, really important in picture books. I’ve written a picture book about a very hungry Ravenous Beast and a picture book about family of Hugglewug Monsters.

I really can’t seem to get away from them!


So I was really delighted to be asked to pick my top five Picture Books that feature Monsters for Library Mice Blog. Before you click can you guess who the monsters are?

1 Who has a bluish-greenish nose, sharp white teeth, and big yellow eyes?
2 This monster likes to lick up the darkness?
3 Who has potatoes growing out of his pants?
4 Who wants to “scare the tuna salad” out of a boy named Sam?
5 Who does Max tame?

Monsters books give children stories with teeth that they really can hold on to. Want to see how many you got right? Find the answers here.

What are your top five Monster picture books?

No comments: